This week 150 countries celebrated Safer Internet Day. This is a worldwide event that raises awareness about online safety and encourages everyone to help create a better internet. In Australia, the eSafety Commissioner is responsible for managing and promoting Safer Internet Day.
The eSafety Commissioner website states the following points as the big issues.
* Cyberbullying- Online bullying can have a devastating impact on young people, whose online life is a key part of their identity and how they interact socially.
* Online pornography- For young children, accidentally encountering pornographic material can be confusing or distressing. At worst it can be harmful.
* Time online- Help your child achieve a healthy balance in their online and offline activities. Click here for more information.
Other reports in the media often make statements like, “It appears that no matter what the activity, high amounts of leisure screen time are linked to increased incidences of anxiety, depression, and other mental health issues.”
William Carey Christian School is an eSmart school and promotes Cybersafety in the School and extended community. We recognise the need for students to be smart, safe and responsible users of digital technologies and do so in such a way that honours God, his word, themselves and others. We recognise the importance of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) in preparing students for the world around them and believe ICT is an integral part of the curriculum.
Some of the Key Benefits of ICT-based Education are that it:
* Promotes learning by doing approach
* Enables self-paced learning
* Provides access to wide range of up-to-date learning materials
* Enriches learning through a combination of audio, video, images, text and animation
* Enhances learning through interaction and collaboration
* Provides a platform that engages students
Make sure you attend the Y Safe parent seminar on the 24th February.
Please see below the details regarding the parent session information and Click here for more information.
The parent seminar is developed by the Y Safe’s award-winning team of clinical psychologists, police officers and digital experts. This practical, strategy-rich session will cover the most important points that all families need to know about online safety. This engaging and informative session will cover key information about social media and gaming, screen time recommendations and step-by-step instructions on how to set up a cyber safe home for kids of all ages.
From our SchoolTV website, Dr Michael Carr-Gregg writes,
“What kids do and post online, the sites they visit and the things they say is permanent. This digital footprint denotes their digital reputation and there’s nothing to stop someone from saving and storing that information about your child.” For some more information on SchoolTV, Click here.
Yours in Christ,