Fact Sheet: The School Opal Card
To be eligible for a School Opal card, students need to be NSW residents and may need to live a minimum distance away from their school:
* Years K-2 there is no minimum distance.
* Years 3-6 1.6km straight line distance or 2.3km walking or further.
* Years 7-12 2.0km straight line distance or 2.9km walking or further.
A School Opal card is provided to eligible students who need to travel within the Opal network. Paper travel passes are issued to eligible students who need to travel outside the Opal network.
Who needs to apply?
A new application is required if:
* The student is just starting school or has not had a pass for travel before.
* The student is changing schools.
* The student’s personal details have changed (e.g. address)
* The student is repeating a school grade
Applications must be made by a parent or guardian for children aged 15years and under. Applications must be made by the student if aged 16 years or older.
How to apply.
Step 1. Parents (or students aged 16 or over) first fill in the online application form.
Step 2. Note down your N or UN number.
Step 3. Follow the steps provided on the screen to submit your application to your school for endorsement.
After you have submitted your application, your school needs to endorse it.
Processing your application
Transport for NSW will process the application.
Issuing free school travel passes
If your application is successful a School Opal card is sent. The application process may take several weeks and you will be informed of the outcome of your application by email.
If the student doesn’t qualify for free travel
They may be eligible for a Term Bus Pass which offers travel on buses between home and school at a discounted rate for the whole school term.
Apply at transportnsw.info/school-students
Find out more
For more information on the School Opal card and School Student Travel Scheme (SSTS), please visit transportnsw.info/school-students